I Love Sticky Notes!

 

I absolutely love sticky notes in the classroom! I find them super handy for quick activities in the lesson. They're great for behaviour management too. YEP, that's right! Not to mention how affordable sticky notes are! It's no wonder I have stacks of them in almost every colour! Here are some of the ways I use sticky notes in my classroom:

1. Group work: I assign roles for group activities by writing the role title on the sticky note and sticking it at the back of students' chairs. This works when their tables are already organised in groups so I can get this out of the way before they enter. When it comes time for the group activity, they're surprised when I tell them to check the back of their chairs. This creates a flurry of excitement as they wonder which role they've been assigned. Some possible roles are: scribe, listener, questioner, presenter, facilitator, time-keeper, artist, etc. This method ensures that everyone has an input and there is a focused task for each member of the group.

2. Participation: For more reluctant participators who just need some encouragement, I give them 2-3 sticky notes that they should try and aim to use during the lesson. Of course, if they choose not to use them up, that is absolutely fine but I find this method really helps with confidence. Each time they've contributed in some capacity during the lesson, I take the sticky note and they are rewarded for participation. If they're really shy, they can start by writing their question on the sticky note instead and then gradually start asking questions out loud. 

3. Behaviour management: Every class has THAT student - the one who just can't help but speak out and interrupt every minute! Similar to the method above, I give them three sticky notes for the entire duration of the lesson. Every time they ask a question, I take one away. Once the three have been taken and they continue to interrupt, I have consequences in place like a detention etc. This method serves as a visual reminder above all else, and to choose carefully the question they want to ask. It also encourages using other methods first like asking a buddy, checking the board, etc. This system for behaviour management depends on your class and students so I wouldn't use it if I thought it would deter someone from asking pertinent questions related to the lesson. 

4. Forming groups: Sticky notes are a super quick and efficient way of making groups for activities. I sometimes number them and hand them out as my students walk in almost immediately indicating which group they will be working with based on the number they've been assigned. Alternatively, I make the most of the colourful sticky notes and the class organises themselves based on the colour they've been given. Using sticky notes for forming groups saves ALOT of time and doesn't make it awkward for the students who are always left behind. 
5. Starter activity: I leave a sticky note on each table for the starter activity already on the board. They complete the activity on the sticky note and then post it on the wall or board for other students to read.

6. Plenary activity: I love doing this activity at the end of the lesson to share thoughts and ideas. Students write down three things they learnt from the lesson and then pass their sticky notes to the person on their right. Then I ask them to pass the note they have, behind them after they've read it and a few more times in any direction so they have the opportunity to read other students' thoughts also. Similarly, I use them as exit tickets for a quick learning check by answering a quick question related to the lesson and they stick it to the door in their way out.

 ta da
And there you have it - my top 6 uses for sticky notes! I'd love to hear how you use sticky notes in your classroom. Have you tried any of these? Let me know below!

Comments